25 June, 2005

Motivation

Trying to find out why I am actually going to do this pilgrimage. So far I
have not come up with a good answer. Nor a good reason. Not sure doing a
pilgrimage "just because" is the best thing. I can't proclaim any deep
religious reasons for going either. Plenty of cultural reasons though,
particularly the food and wine. Seems a common thing to not have a
clue anyhow.

Popped down to the library the other day. They had a copy of "A practical
guide for pilgrims" by Lozano. Loved the maps and the background
information. Bit on the heavy side though. My books by Raju seems to
describe the route better. Wish the maps were better in Raju.

My french is as poor as ever. Found my old schoolbooks from the early 90s.
Didn't understand much. Not sure I ever did. Lots of scribbles in them.
Seems my teacher told me that I would regret being "lazy about the french
classes for the rest of your life". Hope he isn't reading this blog.
Already regretting my laziness. Probably be worse in France in some weeks
time.

Still waiting for my new visacard, so no tickets yet. Tour de France
speeds through Le Puy on the 22nd I'm told. Could be fun to watch. Hotels
are probably at a premium. Might arrive a few days later instead. Planning
to take a day off before I start. If I figure out the Paris metro that is.
Concerned about that. The metro in Prague was easy. Shame really to just
skip through Paris without even climbing the Tour d'Eiffel. Guess it will
be there for another time.