28 June, 2005

Equipment and worries

Have to be stupid to buy hiking shoes by postal order right? Well I am
that stupid. My old hunting boots are too heavy, and the shops around
where I live only have el cheapo hiking boots. So I bought some by postal
order. Turns out they just about fit. Which is a bad thing. Would have
liked them to be bigger. My toes are going to love the downhill trails...
Still there is a month to walk them in. Might help. Better help.

My old backpack is good. For trips that last several weeks where you carry
your own food that is. At 130 litres it is a bit big for dayhiking.
Luckily I can get rid of some of the space by removing the sidepockets.
Still a bit on the heavy side, but I'll use it anyhow. It fits my back,
and I can't afford splashing out on another expensive backpack.

As for raingear, mine is absolutely rubbish. One hour of a massive
downpour and I am soaked. It used to belong to my former girlfriend's
father. It will have to do, which it won't. If it turns out to be too bad
I'll have to buy a poncho somewhere.

I haven't bought any first aid gear yet. Think I'll postpone that till I
get to Le Puy. Not going to go mad at le apotheque or whatever anyhow.
Need something for blisters, and probably some dressings for any gaping
wound. Think that will do. Some people seem to bring enough for a field
hospital.

Decided to drop the sleepingbag as well. Just bringing a sheetsleeping
bag. Think I might regret that in early october in the Cebreiro mountains.
Seems daft to carry a sleepingbag in august though. 35+ centigrades, I
doubt it'll be cold. The jury is still out on the sleepingmat. Got a good
thermarest one. Question is if there is any point carrying it. If I only
need it a couple of times on a 1600km journey, there is probably no point.

Only a month left now or so. Surprised by how calm I am at the moment. I
don't think it has started to sink in that I am actually going to do this.
Not having the big nervous breakdown of inifinite worries, not yet.
Probably get jelly legs in Le Puy when I set out from the cathedral.