31 July, 2005

7 hours to go

Not going to get much sleep. Have to get up in three hours time. Not sure
I am ready for this at all, but too late to regret it now. I could have
spent the money on a cruise somewhere instead. Perhaps to Tahiti, watching
the Polynesian women. Sitting on the beach in my safarishorts, and having
some fancy drink with a paper parasol. Instead I am going to slog around
rural areas of France and Spain, fending off dogs, fighting possible
ambushes of robbers and the temptation of cheap wine. Luckily I don't have
to worry about my horse or donkey being poisoned by the locals.

Backpack is heavier than I would like, but I don't really care. Not like
it will make or break me. I could have bought more first aid supplies. I
definitly could have bought more fancy foot remedies. In the end it
probably don't matter much. Whatever I need I will pick up on the way, and
I am pretty sure I'll get good advice from sensible people along the way.

I should probably have exercised a lot more, practiced my French and
Spanish. Too late now though. Actually it is too late for anything but
getting some sleep.