10 August, 2005

Finally internet access

Writing this post from a bar in Estaing in the Lot Valley. So far it has been a rollercoaster of a journey. At times I feel very isolated here due to my poor French, but the people here has been incredibly helpful and friendly. Whomever put out the rumour that the French are arrogant obviously didnt visit this area.

The journey to Le Puy went without a hitch. Arriving at Le Puy I was met by a hotelmanager who roughly declared the hotel to be full, but who changed his tune once I found my reservation.

Le Puy itself is absolutely brilliant, and I wish I had taken more time there. Getting sleep before setting out was difficult. At 0600 the next morning I headed to the cathedral. Unable to sleep I sat at the steps of the cathedral, watching the dawn. The service in Le Puy is the perfect way to start the pilgrimage. The cathedral itself is very beautiful, and even as a noncatholic you are made to feel welcome.

So far the walking has been the easy part. The mental bit is the tough bit. At times I am wondering what I am doing here, and I envy the few pilgrims I have met who have a clear motive for doing their pilgrimage. It is also hard to not feeling like an outsider when one cannot speak French very well. Still I keep feeling I should have done this years ago.

Keeping this webpage updated is proving hard. I have not even kept a proper written account on paper. There is simply too much going on, both physically and mentally.

Tonight I am staying at a religious community looking after pilgrims. You are feeling a bit like heathen, but the kindness is very moving.

Every meeting with an English speaking person is a blessing. Somehow I keep running into Arsenal supporters all the time.

The holiday is still going strong for the French. Every gite tends to be "complet" and finding a place to sleep at night can be ery difficult indeed. So far I have slept in everything from a mongolian jurte to a top class hotel. Hoping things will improve once I reach Conques. Seems a lot of people is quiting there. The feeling of pilgrimage is still mixed with a strong feeling of being a tourist, but as I get nearer Spain I expect this to change.

Every day is really a treasure chest. I dont know what will happen; or who I will meet. I am loving every minute of it.